67 views 5 mins 0 comments

FC Goa Go Down to Late Penalty Against Mumbai City FC

In Sports
November 27, 2020

FC Goa went down to a 93rd-minute strike from Adam Le Fondre on Wednesday; the Englishman’s strike handing Mumbai City FC a 1-0 win over FC Goa. The Gaurs put on a spirited display despite going a man down in the 40th minute of the game.

The numerical disadvantage, though, came back to bite FC Goa as a late penalty awarded for a handball was tucked away by Adam Le Fondre.

Juan Ferrando named 3 changes to the starting line-up with Saviour Gama and Redeem Tlang making their first appearances for the Gaurs this season of the Indian Super League. Alberto Noguera, who impressed after coming off the bench against Bengaluru FC, meanwhile, got his first start in an FC Goa shirt.

FC Goa started the game on the front foot, controlling the ball in midfield and forcing the Islanders into errors. The first goalmouth action in the game came in the 8th minute when Alberto Noguera did brilliantly to go down the left before cutting back to Igor Angulo in the box. The striker’s first touch was followed by a strike on goal, but thankfully for the visitors, Sarthak Golui was on the spot to block it away for a corner.

The Gaurs were the first to test a goalkeeper when Edu Bedia struck a direct free-kick after Sarthak Gholui fouled Alberto Noguera just outside the box. The Spaniard’s strike though was straight at the keeper.

The game turned on its head on the 40-minute mark when Tlang was shown a straight red on his FC Goa debut for a challenge on Hernan Santana. The Gaurs though dug their heels in and saw out the first 45, both teams going into the break without a goal to show for their efforts.

Gaurs come out fighting
Even a man down, the Gaurs came out with a spirit of adventure to start the second half. And it took a fine save from Amrinder Singh to keep Edu Bedia from opening the scoring on the 55-minute mark with a pile driver from around 25 odd yards out.

The resulting corner produced another fine save from the Mumbai keeper as the Gaurs worked the ball to the right. A brilliant cross from Lenny Rodrigues forced an erroneous header from Mourtada Fall. Ivan Gonzalez was the first to react but saw Amrinder pull off another fantastic save to keep FC Goa from going ahead.

Mumbai had their first shot on target in the game when Hugo Boumous tried his luck from distance in the 59th minute. Mohammad Nawaz, though was well behind it.

Even with 10 men, FC Goa kept their composure and calm and the next effort on goal came from the home side when Amey Ranawade was deemed to have fouled Noguera. Jorge Ortiz stepped up for an attempt on goal, but failed to keep it on target.

Mumbai’s first big chance of the game came in the 75th minute when Adam Le Fondre found space on the left-hand side of the box before drilling a ball into the box. Mandar Rao Dessai met the cross yards Infront of goal but failed to find the target.

Le Fondre was again the main perpetrator for the Islanders and tested Nawaz with a curling effort in the 89th minute of the game. Nawaz again, though, was comfortably behind the goal.

The final twist of the game though was kept for the end – in added on time. A Cy Goddard cross at the back post was met by Bipin Singh at the far post. The winger’s header hit Lenny Rodrigues on the arms, forcing the referee to point to the spot.

Le Fondre stepped up to the plate for the Islanders to score the winner for Mumbai City FC.

The Gaurs will take much heart from the performance and will look to bounce back against Northeast United on Monday. That game is slated for a 7:30 pm kickoff.